Ages ago I grabbed a heap of these little crop tops for $2 a piece at a sale. They didn’t have my size in a lot of them though so I just took the next size up. They are perfect for Summer or for wearing underneath dresses that don’t have sleeves though so I got my overlocker together and finally took them in a bit.
This was a super easy fix because they are made of stretchy tshirt fabric. All I had to do was find one that did fit and then trace around it.
Pinning is useful for this kind of thing.
Then overlock down the side seam from the sleeve down.
Rinse and repeat for the bajillion others!
This also works for long sleeve!
And depending on the kind of knit sweaters too!
Continuing on in my adventures of cardigan making, I decided to try something a little more on the complicated side. I chose Spice Trail from the East, a free pattern from Knitty which uses a few different stitch patterns. I did mine with some cotton from Bendigo Woollen Mills and switched to a short sleeve version so it was a bit more suited for Summer.
This was my first time doing a bottom up cardigan in pieces which was seamed together afterwards. I hated seaming it all together so much that I think I will convert all of my patterns to either top down or in the round to avoid ever having to do it again hahaha!
That said, the pattern was fun and easy to memorize quickly and while I didn’t love the leaves while I was working on them, they turned out to be a very striking pattern when completed.
It helps to have a good model.
My favourite part of the pattern was the eyelet cable rib. I want to use this on other projects because it’s stretchy but it lays really flat.
Omg so many seams:
I love the V pattern on the back!
After we went to Bendigo to look for yarn and the not-so-pink cliffs last year, Celina and I discussed in great detail the need for mittens. I mean it’s Melbourne and they’re only needed like once a year… but can’t hurt to have nice ones for that once a year?
I decided for mine I wanted to practice some colour work so I drew up a basic flip top and flip thumb mitten shape and added a honey comb pattern with a bee/wheat/crown motif on the front. I loved doing the colour work but I didn’t consider my colours well enough so the bee pattern is too pale. I’m considering embroidering over it… but I guess I’ll think about it when I need mittens again that one time next year haha!
My love for my red entrelac hat required a matching scarf. I wanted to use up the rest of the yarn as well as continue the theme of Autumn leaves. It was kind of successful? I combined a few different knitted patterns for the leaves but nothing worked quite well enough so I decided to crochet it… and while I like the results of the leaves individually I didn’t really like the end result so much because it’s hard to tell they’re leaves >_< Oh well maybe I’ll reuse them as some kind of crochet leaf bunting or something? Who knows!
This little guy was a great project to use up some left over yarn and he made a lovely gift! I made it up as I went along so there aren’t really any instructions but enjoy the photos!
Last year I went on a mitten binge. I made like 4 pairs of flip top mittens in a month. The first pair I made was a going away present for Stef and I based them roughly off this pattern.
They were made using light pink from Bendigo Woollen Mills and the red from Fibra Natura Sensationals which was left over from my cardigan.
I changed the pattern to make the thumbs flip top as well so they could be used for texting but I wished I had ribbed the edges to make them a little longer too so they could cover up the hole more.
I really loved the yarn I used on these but I didn’t love the end shape. I just can’t seem to find the perfect mitten shape!