A while ago a lot of stores suddenly started selling crochet doily plates, baskets and trays. They were out of regular yarn but treated with glue to make them stiff enough to be functional. Very out of my budget though so I decided to give making my own a try!
All you need is a cotton doily and some PVA glue. I decided to just crochet my own out of some stash cotton to use it up.
Once it’s finished, wet block it out into the shape you want.
And if required iron it.
Next take some PVA glue and water it down so it has the consistency of milk.
Dump the doily into it and make sure it soaks up the liquid evenly and completely. If you want something very stiff, you will need a higher ratio of glue.
Squeeze out extra liquid.
Lay out to dry on a plate or something else the shape you want to the finished item to take.
Leave it overnight to dry completely and then peel it off.
Depending on the glue you use the stiffness will vary so if you want something like a bowl then use extra glue so it holds shape well. Enjoy! 😀
So excited to say that my first 2 patterns have been released in book form as part of KnitPick’s collections this month! You can get them in physical books, digital books and individually. We’ve been working on these together for almost 9 months now so it’s really awesome to see them out and released finally!!
Briar Rose Home Collection
Charming Cushion Pattern
Little Luxuries Collection
Target Beret Pattern
Some of my knitting patterns are finally available online! The first one is my Fireside Beanie which is part of a 4 hat set using KnitPicks Wonderfluff yarn.
The pattern is available on KnitPicks and Ravelry!
Fireside is a simple beanie pattern featuring polka dots over a three-colour base. The hat is worked in the round, bottom up and can be worn with the ribbing section flipped up for a fitted look or with it down for a slouched style. With an easy to memorise stitch repeat, this fun, fashionable and very quick knit, is great for last minute gifts.
Another mini craft tutorial that I found in the depths of my harddrive 😀
Here is a mini pompom mad that I made quite some time ago to serve as a backdrop for photos. It’s only about 30cm across because I didn’t have much green yarn in my stash but it’s perfect for little macro photos.
It’s a pretty easy one, just make a bunch of pompoms…
Then sew them down to some felt. Gluing would probably be a lot quicker and less fiddly.
I crocheted a few little daisies to brighten it up a bit too.
One day I really want to make a HEAP of these daisies and make a gigantic blanket of them!
So for our Blairgowrie trip last year one of my knitting projects was this tea cosy.
I made it holding 2 strands together, one of some generic mustard acrylic and one of my first batch of handpsun alpaca. Frankly the handspun was pretty crappy but it was one of the first BIG lots of spinning that I had ever done so it taught me a lot about technique. In fact when I ran out early and had to whip up some more, the new batch was so much nicer that there was actually a visible texture change in the tea cosy towards the top haha.
You can really see the difference in my skill level from above to below!
Luckily knitting will hide all manner of spinning mistakes so when it was all done it actually didn’t look half bad!
I did highly regret trying to do this on straight wooden needles that were not long enough and really not big enough. I was so worried about snapping one of them the whole time and this is really what pushed me into getting a nice carbon circular set!
This is my second favourite hat of all time. I mean it’s pretty close with the red Entrelac one but I feel like this one should get some extra points because I spun the yarn myself and designed the pattern as well…
This was one of the first yarns that I spun which actually looked like… you know, yarn! It’s an Ashford blend of merino and silk called Sorbet and the roving looks like a rainbow Paddlepop!
Spun up, the rainbow is a lot more subtle and it looks more like a soft pinky purple with a subtle colour shift every now and then.
The pattern is just a simple beret with an alternating YO/K2tog lace but I think the result is quite effective in showing off the yarn nicely. You can still see the colours shift in the light.