Ok it’s the time of year where I get really into hats again. It’s probably because I’ve been watching Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries and I want ALL THE CLOCHES.
So… I decided to give making one a try. It didn’t turn out too badly actually and now that I know how much the felt shrinks I think I’m going to get a bit more adventurous next time and make something more impressive.

I used the easiest technique: needle felting.
Basically I made a big circle and stabbed at it until it was fairly sturdy, then I built upwards to eventually close in the top with more felt.
It took a lot of needling, more than I’ve done for any project but for something like a hat you really want the felt to be tight and secure.
Looking slightly more hat-ish at this point.
Once the main hat shape was done I started to shape a small brim.
To force the shape more I needled directly on the brim line.
Lastly I added a little white band that ended in a bow out of some more wool roving which was twisted together.
Taadaa cute!
I love the colour and shape of how it turned out. I’m thinking of doing some more traditionally 1920’s styles next to let our my inner Phryne!
One of these days I’m going to bob my hair, find a companion and solve some kind of murder mystery!

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.