Last winter berets with little pearls were everywhere in shops at crazy prices and now that it’s getting colder I’ve started seeing them in stores again. They are really cute but paying $30 for a pearl studded beret is out of my budget especially when you can get a plain one for like $6 and diy it ^_^
I had this pink one that I never really used anymore, I picked it up at a Portman’s clearance outlet a couple of years ago so I spent a few minutes jazzing it up.
What you need:
Before I started I laid all of the pearls out so I could get the correct spacing. I started from the outside and worked in. Once I get the pattern section of the blog up I will add in a diagram.
With the beret laid flat I spaced out 10 pearls around the outside.
Then working in I added another row, spacing them between the first ones. It’s important to use plastic pearls on a project like this so it doesn’t weight the hat down. Also rather than stitching them on using one long thread sewn throughout the hat I tied each pearl on individually. This means that if one came loose the rest would be fine and also a lot less effort in the stitching/making sure the stretch of the knit was maintained.
This is what it looked like after the top was done:
Then it was time to turn over and do the other side…
I toyed with the idea of a row of pearls around the very edge but decided to keep it more subtle instead.
And here I am wearing it at a the Melbourne Flower show on the weekend!
I love projects like this that add a lot of small details to an outfit. Tiny little touches that just give something an extra level of depth make me very happy ^_^